Battery Scientist I
ION is seeking a team-oriented, enthusiastic scientist to develop our next-generation lithium metal batteries. As part of an interdisciplinary R&D team, the Battery Scientist will conduct experiments to improve understanding of the technology through characterization of component materials, assembly and testing of batteries, electrochemical experiments, and data analysis. The ideal candidate is a detailed-oriented, curious scientist with experience working in a research laboratory.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer the following company benefits:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, with the company paying more than 75% of the premiums
- Stock options in an early-stage company
- Company and floating holidays
- 3 weeks of PTO to start
- Perform research on batteries and the component materials through materials characterization, electrochemical experiments, and destructive physical analysis
- Fabricate lithium metal batteries and conduct testing with a focus on rigor, repeatability, and statistical analyses in an industrial setting
- Effectively communicate experimental design, results, and uncertainties in written documents and meetings
- Look for opportunities to improve R&D processes for better reproducibility, yield, and safety
- Maintain lab cleanliness and promote environmental health and safety in the daily work environment
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, Physics, or related field
- Prior experience conducting research in a laboratory setting, preferably in chemical/materials research
- Strong understanding of chemical/materials systems and structure/property relationships
- Desire to learn new experimental and analytical techniques
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Excellent organizational skills
- Hands-on experience with glove box usage and maintenance
- Experience in fabrication and testing of electrochemical cells, including voltammetry, galvanostatic charge-discharge, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, etc.
- Familiarity with battery chemistries such as lithium-ion
- Experience using programming languages for data analysis e.g., Python, Matlab
- Experience with materials analytical techniques such as SEM, XRD, Raman, FTIR, UV-Vis, particle size analysis, and XPS
- Experience with computer-aided design software SolidWorks, Fusion360 and 3D printing
Special Working Conditions:
- Occasional travel may be necessary for program reviews, supplier visits, and conferences
- COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to starting
ION is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
ION, located in Beltsville, MD, is a rapidly growing company commercializing its breakthrough lithium metal battery technology based on discoveries made at the University of Maryland. The company is committed to developing products that will impact everyday life on a global scale. Our technology improves product performance and safety in a variety of applications including defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, electrified transportation, and renewable energy storage. Our team is made up of innovative, driven & creative individuals who are passionate about their work. ION offers an inclusive environment, growth opportunities and encourages work/life balance.