Battery Scientist II/III
ION is seeking a passionate, team-oriented scientist to join our team in developing our next-generation lithium metal battery. The ideal candidate will have experience in lithium-ion or next-generation cell R&D and leverage a strong foundation in chemistry and materials science to understand experimental results, design new experiments, and develop advanced solutions for our cell technology. The Battery Scientist will work closely with other engineers and scientists as part of a fast-moving, cross-functional R&D team.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer the following company benefits:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, with the company paying more than 75% of the premiums
- Stock options in an early-stage company
- Company and floating holidays
- 3 weeks of PTO to start
- Fabricate cells and conduct cell testing with a focus on rigor, repeatability, and statistical analyses in an industrial setting
- Identify and implement novel R&D techniques to understand and optimize cell performance
- Identify limiting factors in cell performance through electrochemical characterization, materials characterization, and destructive physical analysis
- Develop and implement improvements to cell fabrication procedures and documentation
- Effectively communicate procedures, results, and uncertainties in written documents and in-person meetings
- Maintain lab cleanliness and champion environmental health and safety in the daily work environment
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, Physics, or related field.
- 3+ years of laboratory experience in fabricating and testing electrochemical cells, including techniques such as galvanostatic charge/discharge, cycle life, rate capability, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, etc.
- Strong understanding of electrochemistry and chemical/materials systems, with the ability to think mechanistically and design new experiments for optimization of the cell technology
- Ability to conduct product-oriented R&D in an industrial setting
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Excellent organizational skills
- Research experience with lithium-ion cells, including electrode materials synthesis, cathode slurry preparation/coating, and/or cell design/packaging
- Experience with pouch cell pilot or production lines
- Experience in fabrication and testing of solid-state cells
- Deep knowledge of materials-related analytical techniques, such as XRD, SEM, EDX, Raman, GC-MS, and particle size analysis
- Desire to mentor junior scientists and engineers
Special Working Conditions:
- Occasional travel may be necessary for program reviews, supplier visits, and conferences
- COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to starting
ION is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
ION, located in Beltsville, MD, is a rapidly growing company commercializing its breakthrough lithium metal battery technology based on discoveries made at the University of Maryland. The company is committed to developing products that will impact everyday life on a global scale. Our technology improves product performance and safety in a variety of applications including defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, electrified transportation, and renewable energy storage. Our team is made up of innovative, driven & creative individuals who are passionate about their work. ION offers an inclusive environment, growth opportunities and encourages work/life balance.