Senior Battery Scientist IV
ION is seeking a passionate and creative scientist to join us in developing our next-generation solid-state lithium metal battery. The ideal candidate will have industrial experience in lithium-ion R&D, and leverage a strong foundation in chemistry and materials science to develop advanced solutions for our technology.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer the following company benefits:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, with the company paying more than 75% of the premiums
- Stock options in an early-stage company
- Company and floating holidays
- 3 weeks of PTO to start
- Lead development efforts for the advancement of ION's cell technology, in collaboration with team members and VP of R&D
- Serve as the resident expert on lithium-ion chemistry, leveraging the prior industrial experience and current literature and engagement with vendors
- Identify limiting factors in cell performance through electrochemical characterization, materials characterization, and destructive physical analysis
- Spearhead identifying and implementing new techniques to understand and optimize cell performance to meet R&D objectives
- Mentor junior scientists in design and analysis of experiments, and creative problem solving
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, or related field.
- 4+ years of experience in a commercial/industrial battery R&D environment
- Deep knowledge of lithium-ion chemistry at a materials and system level
- Extensive experience in cell testing and electrochemical diagnostics knowledge with Maccor/Arbin or equivalent
- Strong understanding of electrochemistry and chemical/materials systems at the fundamental level, with the ability to think mechanistically and design new experiments for optimization of the cell technology
- Exposure to commercial cell manufacturing
Special Working Conditions:
- Occasional travel may be necessary for program reviews, supplier visits, and conferences
- COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to starting
ION is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
ION, located in Beltsville, MD, is a rapidly growing company commercializing its breakthrough lithium metal battery technology based on discoveries made at the University of Maryland. The company is committed to developing products that will impact everyday life on a global scale. Our technology improves product performance and safety in a variety of applications including defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, electrified transportation, and renewable energy storage. Our team is made up of innovative, driven & creative individuals who are passionate about their work. ION offers an inclusive environment, growth opportunities and encourages work/life balance.