Do you enjoy designing and creating new mechanical assembly processes? Are you looking to build something that's never been done before? Are you looking to accelerate your career on a new team in a rapidly growing company? If so, we're excited to talk to you.
The Project Manager Cell Engineering will work intimately with R&D, external OEMs, and Cell Engineering to drive internal manufacturing development efforts for first and future generations of state-of-the-art solid state batteries. Initially, your responsibilities will include coordinating development efforts translating R&D assembly processes to semi-automated then fully automated assembly lines. Leverage your experience to rapidly prototype in close collaboration with R&D and external OEMs. Translate product specification requirements, process tolerances, and electrochemical principles into machine and product requirements. This will be in the support of building out ION's pilot and production manufacturing lines at our brand new facility. The applicant should have good communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills. Be comfortable working proactively and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Responsible for managing rapid development efforts with cell R&D, cell engineering and external partners to develop benchtop assembly processes to semi-automated or fully automated production assembly processes.
- Leverage Project Management skills with external partners/OEMs. Manage budgets, report on timelines, development progress, and be responsible for hitting milestones on time.
- Source equipment required for future manufacturing growth. Analyze different equipment options to balance cost, capability, performance, and capacity while using and collecting data to drive decisions.
- Manage change control processes drawing revisions, etc and lead projects to establish best practices.
- Support equipment design and safety reviews, coordinate tasks for receiving equipment, factory & site acceptance testing, equipment performance validation, and transition to operation.
- Provide cross-functional leadership as necessary to achieve scale up objectives.
- Collaborate closely with R&D to understand and then improve upon existing processes.
- Travel: 10% Expected. Ability to occasionally travel both domestically and internationally.
- BS in Mechanical, Materials, and/or Electrical Engineering. Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
- 4+ Years of Industrial Manufacturing Experience.
- Experience in DFMEA incl industry best practices and Equipment Specification/SOW writing.
- Prior experience scaling up new manufacturing processes and teams from prototype to automated production scale. Rapid prototyping experience is also desired.
- Experience managing high-value equipment projects including design specification for RFQ, down selecting suppliers, and project managing through the transition to production.
- Extensive experience with CAD design and PLM with industry standard software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Leadership experience in managing and/or leading technical teams.
- Prior experience directing rapidly growing teams in a young organization.
- General knowledge of lithium ion, solid state lithium metal, or other battery cell manufacturing.
- Extensive experience with high throughput precision assembly processes.
- COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to starting.
- This role does not offer sponsorship for work authorization. Applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Medical, dental, and vision plans with the company paying more than 75% of the premiums.
- Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, and group life insurance
- Generous stock options in an early-stage company
- Company and floating holidays
- 401k plan with company match
- 3 weeks of PTO
ION is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
ION, located in Beltsville, MD, is a rapidly growing company commercializing its breakthrough lithium metal battery technology based on discoveries made at the University of Maryland. The company is committed to developing products that will impact everyday life on a global scale. Our technology improves product performance and safety in a variety of applications including defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, electrified transportation, and renewable energy storage. Our team is made up of innovative, driven & creative individuals who are passionate about their work. ION offers an inclusive environment, growth opportunities and encourages work/life balance.