Do you enjoy the challenge of driving design from prototype to full-scale manufacturing? Are you looking to design new processes from scratch with considerable influence on the outcome? Are you looking to accelerate your career with a rapidly growing company? If so, we're excited to talk to you.
The Process Development Engineer II/III will develop manufacturing processes to assemble state-of-the-art solid-state batteries. This is an opportunity to create and develop a process at an early stage of the development cycle. ION's unique cell architecture presents an opportunity for creative battery cell assembly methods. Lithium-ion pouch cell stacking experience is desired but not required. Experience developing manufacturing processes from concept to production release and support is required. The applicant should have good communication and interpersonal skills and be comfortable working proactively and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Engineering process development of the mechanical cell assembly processes including:
- Battery Cell stacking and assembly
- Battery Pouch forming and sealing
- Other cell assembly duties and responsibilities that are appropriate for the candidate's interest, aptitude, and abilities.
- Support the creation of Equipment Specifications, RFQs, etc to support the acquisition, installation, and commissioning of manufacturing equipment.
- 4+ years of experience.
- Multiple rounds of experience developing a manufacturing process from concept to production release and support.
- Experience with prototype and production scale manufacturing of small mechanical or small electrical assemblies.
- Experience with automated equipment installation, de-bug, and ramp-up.
- Experience with SPC, DOE, and Lean Six Sigma statistical methods.
- Experience preparing RFQs and soliciting proposals from equipment manufacturers.
- 2+ Years experience with lithium ion, solid-state lithium metal, or other battery cell automated assembly equipment.
- Familiarity with battery cell stacking.
- Familiarity with ultrasonic metal welding.
- Adhesive dispensing and/or potting experience.
- Familiarity with GD&T.
- Pharma/medical device IQ/OQ/PQ experience or equivalent.
- CAD experience.
- General understanding of metal and polymer processing techniques and material failure analysis.
- Flexibility to Work from Home
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Employer paid short-term/long-term disability and group life insurance
- Generous stock options in an early-stage company
- Company and floating holidays
- 401k plan with company match
- 3 weeks of PTO
- Quarterly Wellness Incentive
- COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to starting.
- This role does not offer sponsorship for work authorization. Applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
ION is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
ION, located in Beltsville, MD, is a rapidly growing company commercializing its breakthrough lithium metal battery technology based on discoveries made at the University of Maryland. The company is committed to developing products that will impact everyday life on a global scale. Our technology improves product performance and safety in a variety of applications including defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, electrified transportation, and renewable energy storage. Our team is made up of innovative, driven & creative individuals who are passionate about their work. ION offers an inclusive environment, growth opportunities and encourages work/life balance.