Mechanical Engineer I/II
ION Storage Systems is seeking a highly motivated Engineer to work intimately with R&D and Cell Engineering to help develop the first generation of ION's state-of-the-art solid-state battery technology. This will be a critical role on a team that is developing brand new technology. The Mechanical Engineer I will support the Cell Engineering Team by creating and managing all 2D and 3D designs and developing techniques for validation and verification of those designs. He or She will also support the fabrication of cell prototypes in both lab and production environments.
- Design battery cell components and assemblies with guidance from R&D, Engineering, and Manufacturing
- Develop component and system verification procedures
- Manage revision control of engineering designs and BOMs
- Support battery cell prototyping and fabrication efforts
- Support product development efforts using engineering best practices such as DFMEA, Decision Matrices, and Design of Experiment
- Travel: 10% Expected. Ability to occasionally travel both domestically and internationally.
- BS in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science Engineering, or Electrical Engineering. BS in Chemistry or similar may be considered with relevant experience.
- 2-4 Years of Industrial Manufacturing Experience
- 1-3 Years Experience with industrial chemical processes in a pilot or production setting. Experience with high-temperature heat treatment processing is desired including maintenance of such equipment.
- Excellent data analysis and communication skills.
- Statistical analysis skills SPC, DOE, Minitab, JMP. Ability to create, manage, and analyze substantial process data and present it in a succinct, cohesive manner.
- Working knowledge of GD&T and tolerance stack-up analysis
- Experience with additive manufacturing and rapid prototyping
- Experience with fabrication of small, precision parts
- Familiarity with battery technologies
- Experience using ERP and PLM software
- Experience working in a lab environment
- Medical, dental, and vision plans with the company paying more than 75% of the premiums.
- Employer paid short-term and long-term disability, and group life insurance
- Generous stock options in an early-stage company
- Company and floating holidays
- 401k plan with company match
- 3 weeks of PTO
- Quarterly Wellness Incentive
- COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to starting.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 45 pounds.
- This role does not offer sponsorship for work authorization. Applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
ION is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
ION, located in Beltsville, MD, is a rapidly growing company commercializing its breakthrough lithium metal battery technology based on discoveries made at the University of Maryland. The company is committed to developing products that will impact everyday life on a global scale. Our technology improves product performance and safety in a variety of applications including defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, electrified transportation, and renewable energy storage. Our team is made up of innovative, driven & creative individuals who are passionate about their work. ION offers an inclusive environment, and growth opportunities and encourages work/life balance.