Materials Scientist III
Ion Storage Systems is seeking a driven and independent scientist to join our R&D team in developing our bilayer solid electrolyte for next-generation lithium metal batteries. The successful candidate will leverage their broad research and analytical experience to advance our solid electrolyte technology. The Materials Scientist III will spearhead material and process innovation with ceramic electrolyte materials, focusing on synthesis, material processing, sintering, and characterization of the ceramic, with an eye on impactful performance improvements. The ideal candidate is energized by challenges and wants to be part of a fast-paced startup to make an impact.
- Apply broad materials background to accelerate the development and scale-up path for ceramic bilayer electrolyte processing and sintering
- Lead ceramic R&D projects directed towards achieving company goals - designing and executing experiments and effectively communicating progress and critical findings
- Identify and implement new methods or analytical measurements to increase understanding
- Take the initiative to anticipate and solve problems and help with other operations
- Look for opportunities to improve and invent new materials and methods
- Maintain lab cleanliness and promote environmental health and safety in the daily work environment
- Ph.D. in Materials Science & Engineering, Chemical or Ceramic Engineering, Chemistry, Glass Science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience postdoctoral or industrial in materials research and development
- Experience with materials synthesis, processing, and characterization
- Demonstrated ability to learn and innovate
- Ability to analyze and resolve highly complex technical problems quickly and independently.
- Excitement to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic R&D environment
- Ability to communicate clearly, openly, and effectively
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience with ceramic product development and ceramic manufacturing methods
- Experience with and knowledge of solid electrolyte materials
- Familiarity with solid oxide fuel cells, ceramic capacitors, and/or battery electrochemistry
- Experience with a diverse range of materials analytical techniques such as SEM, FTIR, XRD, etc.
- COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to starting.
- Immediate eligibility for Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Stock Options in an early-stage company
- 401k plan with company match
- 3 weeks of Paid Time Off and Paid Company Holidays
ION is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
ION, located in Beltsville, MD, is a rapidly growing company commercializing its breakthrough lithium metal battery technology based on discoveries made at the University of Maryland. The company is committed to developing products that will impact everyday life on a global scale. Our technology improves product performance and safety in a variety of applications including defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, electrified transportation, and renewable energy storage. Our team is made up of innovative, driven & creative individuals who are passionate about their work. ION offers an inclusive environment, and growth opportunities and encourages work/life balance.