Materials Scientist/Engineer I
Ion Storage Systems is seeking a team-oriented, enthusiastic scientist to help develop our next-generation solid-state lithium metal battery. As part of an interdisciplinary R&D team, the Materials Scientist will be hands-on in the lab, executing experiments to improve the solid electrolyte technology through synthesis and characterization of ceramic materials, process development, and data analysis. The Materials Scientist will help develop and refine experimental processes and work with the Production Team to transfer R&D processes to production. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented, curious scientist or engineer with experience working in a research laboratory.
- Learn key stages of the solid electrolyte processing and fabrication method
- In collaboration with the team, design experiments related to solid electrolyte materials and processes
- Independently execute the experiments and tasks in the lab
- Characterize solid electrolyte powders and sintered products and analyze the results
- Document and communicate experimental methods, results, and uncertainties
- Look for opportunities to innovate on current technology and processes
- Maintain lab cleanliness and promote environmental health and safety in the daily work environment
- B.S. or M.S. in Chemical/Ceramic/Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, or related field
- 1+ years of experience conducting research in a laboratory setting
- Some experience with materials characterization and analytical techniques such as SEM, XRD, particle size analysis, etc.
- Ability to learn quickly and to communicate openly
- Eagerness to work on innovative technology and work collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic R&D environment.
- 1-2 years of hands-on experience with ceramic powder processing and ceramic sintering
- Product research or product development focused experience
- Proficiency in designing experiments and analyzing data
- Familiarity with fuel cells, capacitors, and/or battery electrochemistry and ion conductors
- COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to starting.
- This role does not offer sponsorship for work authorization. Applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Immediate eligibility for Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- 401k plan with company match
- Stock Options in an early-stage company
- 3 weeks of Paid Time Off and Paid Company Holidays
ION is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
ION, located in Beltsville, MD, is a rapidly growing company commercializing its breakthrough lithium metal battery technology based on discoveries made at the University of Maryland. The company is committed to developing products that will impact everyday life globally. Our technology improves product performance and safety in various applications, including defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, electrified transportation, and renewable energy storage. Our team is made up of innovative, driven & creative individuals who are passionate about their work. ION offers an inclusive environment, growth opportunities and encourages work/life balance.