Ion Storage Systems creates batteries that are safer, lighter, and enable form factors with
tighter packing density that enhance system performance. We are backed by leading venture
capital firms including Alsop Louie Partners, Clear Creek Investments, VoLo Earth Ventures,
and Toyota Ventures and recently closed an oversubscribed Series A funding round in mid-
2022 to enable the growth of the team and commercialization of the technology.
We are looking for an Engineering Leader with the people and technical skills to bring the first
generation of ION's state-of-the-art solid-state battery technology to market. As an
Engineering Manager of our core team in Beltsville, MD you will be responsible for the pilot
plant throughput to meet introductory customer demand, product and technology
You'll guide your team to meet quality and yield targets, work with R&D, equipment and
manufacturing engineering resources to introduce new processes, new equipment and
● An ideal candidate will have a hands-on / on the floor approach to managing
production, preferably in the field of batteries or mechanical engineering and have
strong people management and communication skills.
● Manage operations of pilot production and product manufacturing to meet production
targets for battery cells and finished products.
● Maintain processes, systems, and infrastructure that help the team function
efficiently and ensure your team members have the resources they need to excel
● Manage mechanical designs for our product line, from initial prototype to final
release, with continued support in production. Design space may span from battery
cells and modules to packs and racks
● Oversee mechanical engineering team to establish standard processes. Improve the
processes as needed for optimization and increased efficiency.
● Manage procurement with internal and external high-volume partners
● Experience optimizing cell systems, with a track record of taking products from
concept to commercialization
● Maintain departmental records for all programs, projects, and monthly reports
● Develop operating budgets, resource plans, and manage spending to budget for pilot
● Interview, hire, train, mentor, and evaluate employee performance
● Bachelor of Science in engineering, preferably mechanical engineering.
● 6 years product design and product manufacturing.
● 4 years of people management and team building experience with a team of 10+
engineers, drafters, and technicians.
● 2 years working in cells, battery packs or battery-operated appliances.
● Demonstrated experience in building and leading teams to solve ambitious, complex
product development challenges in a mission-driven environment.
● Effortless proficiency at designing and generating mechanical parts and assemblies,
with SolidWorks or 3D parametric and CAD software.
● GD&T certificate.
● Move long distances such as from building to building and be stationary for
extended periods of time
● Available to travel up to 5 weeks annually, domestic and international.
Location: Beltsville, MD
Reports to: Director of Engineering
● In addition to a competitive salary, we offer the following company benefits:
● Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
● Stock options in an early-stage company
● Company and floating holidays
● 17 days of PTO to start, with increase upon tenure
● 401k plan with a 4% company match beginning after first paycheck
● Wellness allowance of $1k annually
Ion Storage Systems Inc., located in Beltsville, MD, is a rapidly growing company
commercializing its breakthrough lithium metal battery technology based on discoveries made at
the University of Maryland. The company is committed to developing products that will impact
everyday life on a global scale. Our technology improves product performance and safety in a
variety of applications including, defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, electrified
transportation, and renewable energy storage. Our team is made up of innovative, driven &
creative individuals who are passionate about their work. The company offers an inclusive
environment, growth opportunities and encourages work/life balance.
We offer an inclusive environment with opportunities for growth and believe that a thriving
workspace leads to a thriving company. We hope you will contact us to learn more and to be a
part of our diverse, collaborative team!
To all recruitment agencies: Ion Storage Systems, Inc. will not accept agency resumes for this
role. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs email, or to any Ion Storage Systems
employees or any other company email address. Ion Storage Systems is not responsible for any
fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Ion Storage Systems, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
*Eligibility to work in the United States as a U.S. Citizen or U.S. permanent resident is required