Director of Engineering
Ion Storage Systems, Inc. is looking to add a full-time Director of Engineering to our team in Beltsville MD. This newly created position will report to the CEO and be responsible for building and leading our Engineering Department and help us bring our technology from lab scale to pilot production to mass production. To be successful in this role, you should be confident managing large teams while, at the same time, setting goals, budgets, and startup-suitable timelines for various projects.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer the following company benefits:
- Medical, dental, and vision plans with the company paying more than 75% of the premiums.
- Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, and group life insurance
- Generous stock options in an early-stage company
- Company and floating holidays
- 401k plan with company match
- 3 weeks of PTO
- Build and manage the Engineering Department which currently includes:
- Cell Engineering team, who are responsible for following our products through the product lifecycle process from concept through end of life.
- Process Engineering Team, who are the technical owners of our current and future manufacturing equipment and processes.
- Manufacturing Engineering Team, which leads advanced manufacturing projects and manages the execution of large CAPEX projects to onboard semi-auto and full automation equipment with equipment OEMs.
- Provide weekly status updates to the executive team
- Oversee engineering staff and ensure they hit goals and objectives
- Hire engineers and coordinate their training
- Help set the company strategy and align the strategic priorities with the broader organization
- Prepare and manage the Engineering Department's budget
- Experience with $1M+ Capital Project Execution, potentially including HAZOP and/or PHA
- Previous experience and knowledge of Manufacturing Execution Systems. Experience with the implementation of MES/MRP/ERP systems is preferred.
- Battery experience is preferred but not essential. This includes technical expertise of cell manufacturing and the ability to trace cell failure modes to manufacturing processes.
- Extensive experience with JMP/Minitab and statistical analysis in a manufacturing and development environment.
- Experience in product lifecycle management
- Experience developing manufacturing processes, progressing from manual assembly to semi-automation to full automation
- Extensive experience developing fully automated production lines for mass production
- 10+ years of experience in manufacturing, 5+ years of experience in a senior engineering capacity managing multiple disciplines
- Familiar with Design for Manufacturing, FMEA, Assembly Methods
- Six Sigma Black Belt Preferred. Capable of leading lean, 5S, and Kaizen initiatives.
- Leadership abilities with both a tactical and strategic mindset
- Excellent project management skills
- Proven track record of success
Special Working Conditions:
- Verification of COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to starting
Ion Storage Systems, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
Ion Storage Systems Inc., located in Beltsville, MD, is a rapidly growing company commercializing its breakthrough solid-state battery technology that was invented at the University of Maryland. The company is committed to developing products that will impact everyday life on a global scale. Our technology improves product performance and safety in a variety of applications including, defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, electrified transportation, and renewable energy storage. Our team is made up of innovative, driven & creative individuals who are passionate about their work. The company offers an inclusive environment, and growth opportunities and encourages work/life balance.