Ceramic Scientist I
Ion Storage Systems is seeking a team-oriented, enthusiastic scientist to develop our next-generation solid-state lithium metal battery. As part of an interdisciplinary R&D team, the Ceramic Scientist will conduct experiments to improve the solid electrolyte technology through synthesis and characterization of ceramic materials, process development, and data analysis. The Ceramic Scientist will help develop and refine experimental processes and work with the Production Team to transfer R&D processes to production. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented, motivated scientist/engineer with experience working in a research setting.
- Learn key stages of the solid electrolyte processing and fabrication method
- Work with senior scientists to design experiments related to solid electrolyte materials and processes, and independently execute the experiments in the lab
- Characterize ceramic powders and sintered products and analyze the results
- Effectively document and communicate experimental methods, results, and uncertainties during team meetings
- Look for opportunities to improve R&D processes for better reproducibility, yield, and safety
- Work with Production Engineers to scale up R&D processes for production
- Execute and follow through on tasks and action items
- Maintain lab cleanliness and promote environmental health and safety in the daily work environment
- Be a passionate and versatile member of the R&D team with a desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- B.S./M.S. in Chemical/Ceramic/Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, or related field
- 1+ years of experience conducting research in a laboratory setting, preferably in chemical/materials research
- Experience with materials analytical techniques such as SEM, XRD, particle size analysis, XPS, etc.
- Ability to communicate clearly, openly, and efficiently
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Eagerness to make meaningful contributions and work collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic R&D environment.
- 1-2 years of hands-on experience with ceramic powder processing and ceramic sintering
- Product research or development-focused experience
- Proficiency in designing experiments and analyzing data
- Familiarity with fuel cell and/or battery electrochemistry and ion conductors
- COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to starting.
- This role does not offer sponsorship for work authorization. Applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Immediate eligibility for Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Stock Options in an early-stage company
- 3 weeks of Paid Time Off and Paid Company Holidays
ION is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
ION, located in Beltsville, MD, is a rapidly growing company commercializing its breakthrough lithium metal battery technology based on discoveries made at the University of Maryland. The company is committed to developing products that will impact everyday life on a global scale. Our technology improves product performance and safety in a variety of applications including defense and aerospace, consumer electronics, electrified transportation, and renewable energy storage. Our team is made up of innovative, driven & creative individuals who are passionate about their work. ION offers an inclusive environment, growth opportunities and encourages work/life balance.